Friday, November 21, 2008

Patriotic Spending?


After September 11th, President Bush encouraged us to spend to show our patriotism. In the wake of the recent financial disaster on Wall Street, we are again encouraged by the media to get out there and stimulate the economy.

As someone who is trying hard to cut back, make do, and do without, I find this advice worrisome. Am I being a "bad American" because I'm not spending? Is it wrong to try to live more by the standards our grandparents had then the throw-away standards that are so popular today?

Absolutely not, says Dr. Juliet Schor, an economist and professor at Boston College. Read the whole article here.

Whew. I feel better.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I've never felt bad or un-American for not spending and cutting back. What I have felt is that people encouraging that are the ones with the problem! Overspending on housing is one of the reasons we are in the sub-prime mortgage crisis that we are! Thanks for the article!