Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Raw Cereal

Here it is! This is one of my favorite breakfast foods, raw cereal. At first I was like, "Huh? Raw cereal? Sounds gross." It's anything but. If you like fruit and nuts you'll LOVE this. Plus it's fast to put together and sticks with you for hours after you eat it, giving you plenty of energy in the meantime.

Here's the recipe that I use which was roughly adapted from one I found online. You can use other ingredients that you have on hand--play with it and make it personal to your own tastes.

Raw Cereal

Quarter then slice one banana into a bowl.
Add one apple (I've had it both grated and chopped--either way is tasty but grating it tends to make the cereal a lot more wet)
Toss on a small handful of chopped almonds or walnuts
Add a small handful of sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds
Add raisins or chopped dates to the top
Sprinkle a generous helping of shredded coconut on top if you desire.
Drizzle with 1 tsp. of raw honey, dust with cinnamon.
Splash a small amount of almond or other nut milk on top.

Tah-Dah! All done and ready to eat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - That sounds like my "oatmeal concoction", minus the rolled oats, that is! I LOVE it!
-faith

ChicChick said...

Hey, Faith. Yes, it's delicious. I'm not usually one (as you know) to eat the same thing over and over with any consistency but I do eat this cereal several times a week.

Unknown said...

Ooooooh, I thought you meant like muesli...rolled oats and dried fruit and stuff. I can't wait to give this a try...just not sure about the apple since apples on an empty stomach (or in the morning) can make my stomach cramp. But will try. Thanks for posting!!

ChicChick said...

Nope, not museli-- but very delicious none the less! Let me know how you and your stomach like it!