Monday, August 20, 2007

Welcome...


My very first post here at “A Chick with a Conscience”-how exciting! For those of you who haven’t followed me over from this blog, let me tell you a little about myself. I’m a recovering consumer, trying to live my life in a way that is true to my values and not what society dictates my values “should” be. I am married to a wonderful (and very handsome!) musician, and have three sweet and furry pets. I am an octo/lavo vegetarian (I still eat cruelty-free eggs and dairy from time to time). We live in northern Vermont and are practicing being more mindful about consuming~things and food.

I love creating things and making things beautiful-especially when I can do so freely or on the cheap. A thrifty shopper at heart, I’ve always loved getting a good bargain and the further into this whole simple/green/sustainable living world I find myself, the more I question what I am buying, why I’m buying it and what else I might do instead of purchasing something brand new. I also feel passionately about a number of different causes: Animal rights/cruelty-free living, environmentalism, and humanitarianism are the three topics that most stir my heart. It can feel overwhelming-trying to make a difference in what sometimes feels like a big bad world, but during those very dark moments I like to think of Helen Keller’s words: “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”

This blog is far from a soapbox-at least I hope that I don’t come across as “preacher-ish” (I do have that tendency, so bear with me!). I want to use this space to connect with others who feel similarly, to ask questions, share resources, and brainstorm ideas.

So…welcome! Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of something hot, and look around. I’m glad you stopped by.

No comments: